Sunday, February 27, 2011

A seedling adventure

I've decided it will be more cost efficient if I grow from seeds myself. This posting will be updated during the growing process.
My first action was to retrieve some seeds I had from years past, get some new ones and some flats of peat moss (the greenhouse kind from WalMart).

Here is a picture of the little greenhouses all full of seeds and resting in the sun!

How very exciting, my lil sprouts are coming out.


Shortly after they started sprouting I noticed some mold growing on the tops of some of the peat moss'. The way I fixed this way to simply remove the plastic cover from the peat moss. Viola, fixed. This is a picture of some of the mold (maybe a little hard to see, kinda just looks like white fur).

Look how big they've gotten after just 5 days:



So far the seeds that are growing are broccoli, cauliflower, onions, 3 varities of tomatoes, lettuce and a lettuce blend, a few types of herbs and some scallions. There is also eggplant in there, it just has not sprouted yet. I am so excited for this to work out and produce our veggies!!

More updates coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment